The Revd James Donaldson: 1927-2021
After studying at the Irish Baptist College in Dublin, Jim began his ministry at two village chapels in County Durham – Esh Whinning and Langley Park (1955-60). After five very happy years, he was called to Union Baptist Church (Castle Street) in Luton, which included Caddington and Perry Green Baptist churches (1960-70). Jim held an educational appointment (1970-84). During his time of ministry, he studied for a BA through the Open University.
Jim acted as moderator to several local churches. His ministry included chaplaincy work in Luton at St Mary’s Hospital, the Keech Hospice and the Luton & Dunstable Hospital. He was committed to weekly services in residential homes and continued much of this work well after the age of retirement.
A generous man of warmth and humour, Jim was renowned for his pastoral care, which he continued into his nineties by telephone. He lived God’s love and was loved by many of God’s people. A faithful servant!