The Revd Eric Laing: 1934-2019
The Revd Eric Laing died on 4 February, aged 84. Eric’s last pastorate was at Clevedon Baptist Church from where he retired in 1999
In retirement Eric and his wife Ena moved north to Cleveland, becoming members of Stockton Baptist Church. A thanksgiving service took place at there on Tuesday, 19 February. Those present were invited to share their tributes of Eric. They included:
1. I have only happy memories of Eric. As a man and minister he was honest, passionate and a compelling speaker with a tremendous sense of humour. I still remember some of his saying and his hand gestures from his sermons. But it was his passion and humour that I remember the most. He will be sorely missed.
2. He was a lovely man. Passionate, caring and could always depend on him to be there when needed. I can still see him, making himself comfortable on my sofa with a mug of tea balanced on his knee!! What a character he was. We all loved him dearly.
3. We were honoured to know him and enjoyed his wisdom and dry humour.
4. Will always have good and happy memories of Eric and appreciate the time when he was our youth leader at the Tab.
5. Memories of a special man and a life well lived. Can’t think of a time when he hasn’t been part of my life... even though’ for many years we were in different parts of the country.
6. We thank God that we knew Eric. He had a very fruitful life. I have lovely memories of our lives in the Tab when we were teenage friends.
7. He has always been part of our lives and we will remember him fondly.
8. When his death was announced in church (West Green, Tottenham) I just cried. He meant such a lot to our family and baptised my mum.
9. He was (and in our memory still is) a lovely man, affectionate, caring and humorous.
10. Such a lovely man and made a good cup of coffee when I came to clean for you.
11. He was a lovely pastor and friend.
12. What a wonderful Man Of God Uncle Eric was.
13. He was a man of integrity, a fine pastor but most of all a loving husband and father. He is now in the presence of the Lord he loved to serve – no more confusion, no more suffering.
14. Humble, gentle, wise, a pastor with a huge heart, someone who was able to persevere through the hard times, sorely missed.
Eric held pastorates at Mutley Baptist Church and Crownhill Baptist Church (1964-1970); West Green Baptist Church (1970-77); SW Durham Fellowship (1977-86); and Clevedon (1986-99).