Logo

 

Banner Image:   National-News-banner-Purple
Template Mode:   Baptist Times
Icon
    Post     Tweet

Christians would pay more internet charges to block porn 

 

Just over half of UK Christians would be prepared to pay more for their internet usage if it meant greater restrictions on the accessing of porn


That’s according to a new ComRes poll, commissioned by Premier Christian Media Trust.

The poll found that 57 per cent would accept higher charges to fund a scheme in which users have to actively ‘opt-in’ to access online pornographic content.

Premier Christian Media Trust launched the Safetynet Campaign earlier this year in partnership with Safermedia in a bid to protect children from internet pornography.

The campaign calls on the Government to introduce legislation to ensure that Internet Service Providers (ISP) filter pornography at source. It has gathered more than 75,000 signatures.

The ISPs claim that an opt-in model would add substantial cost to internet services, though a recent cross-party inquiry report into the subject of on-line child safety said these claims were unfounded.Christians would pay more inte

John Morris, managing director of financial services organisation The Harvest Partnership Ltd said, ‘The silent majority has been awakened by the need to protect children and vulnerable people from internet pornography.

‘That is why, even when people are concerned about their jobs and with all the pressures on the family budget during the current period of austerity, they are prepared to prioritise this matter so highly.’

Baptist minister the Revd Peter Kerridge, chief executive of Premier Christian Media, organisers of the Safetynet Campaign said, ‘I’m a father myself, and this issue really concerns me.
 
‘Children need to be protected, and to do this ISPs need to block pornography at network level – allowing both new and existing users to make an active choice whether to opt-in to adult content, whilst allowing children the freedom to use the internet without stumbling across hard-core pornography.’

For more on the Safetynet Campaign visit www.safetynet.org.uk
 

    Post     Tweet
'A privilege to see the ripple effects of Project Violet impact the Baptist global family'
Participants have been reflecting on the Project Violet International Symposium, which saw more than 30 Baptist women from 10 countries deliver theological papers and engage in plenary discussion
Churches invited to apply for science-faith funding
Churches across the UK can now apply for a grant of up to £10,000 for a project which creatively brings together their faith and a scientific topic
Flowing faith from one generation to the next
The Baptist Union of Great Britain with BMS World Mission are launching a new church resource to help those considering an ongoing blessing to support God’s mission both in the UK and overseas
Fresh Streams calls Baptists Together to a day of prayer and fasting
Fresh Streams is calling Baptist churches, ministers, and individuals across the UK to unite in a dedicated day of prayer and fasting on Thursday, 27 March 2025
'We urge the Government to rethink its decision immediately'
General Secretary Lynn Green has joined Methodist, Church of Scotland and United Reformed Church leaders in expressing regret and lament at the Prime Minister’s announcement of further cuts to the international development budget
St Hild Centre for Baptist Ministry now registered with the Office for Students
Eligible students at the centre will now, for the first time, be able to access student finance, including loans for both undergraduate and postgraduate study
     Latest News 
    Posted: 07/01/2025
    Posted: 07/01/2025
     
    Text Size:  
    Small (Default)
    Medium
    Large
    Contrast:  
    Normal
    High Contrast